This text is replaced by the Flash movie.
Setting up a Netcam
Setting up a Netcam
I purchased a USB Intel Deluxe PC Camera, very smooth setup, a couple
of programs froze, but after the usual patch updates they went away. I had heard that they can be a little frustrating
to set up so I was surprised I had very few problems, I can't say this holds true to all Netcams, my daughter bought
one and I have been helping her work out some bugs, her is not an Intel. If you are thinking of buying a PC Camera,
decide on what type you need to buy. Check in the back of your Computer to see if you have a USB port, looks like
a big Phone jack. My Packard Bell has USB Ports, it was made in 1997, but I do not believe I can actually use them.
USB wasn't really out then, it also had Infrared which messed up everything I tried to install in that Computer,
had to wipe it off the Computer. So that said, check to make sure the Port is activated in the Device Manager and
enabled in the Bios. You can find info on these under Computer Help-Trouble-Tips-Tools
Installation USB ( Universal Serial Bus )
- Make sure your USB port is working and enabled in the Bios. Check in the Device Manager for your USB port and
check its properties.
- I then installed the Intel software, this includes Drivers and applications.
- Next I plugged in the Camera, into the USB Port, it recognized it and asked for the Windows98 CD to install
new USB Drivers and whatever else.
- Next I Registered the Camera so I could get any Updates.
- Next I started to Play! This is fun stuff, I can snap still pictures or Videos and automatically email them
to a friend or relative. Just turn it on and watch yourself and everyone in the room if you want, you can have
it take auto, timed pictures and save them, good if you want to see what the dog did all day. Make a slide show,
I'll be using it for taking pictures for my Web Site and a Live Webcam, that's next.
- Actually before I played I went into the Options ( Preferences in others ) in the Software and got that all
set up the way I wanted. This Software was very user friendly and has a good Help Section.
- Next I installed Windows NetMeeting, installation went fine, this comes with Windows, but you should get the
Latest version from Windows Update. After you Register and if you chose to, you are put into their directory,
that way people can contact you by typing in your name or email address. My Daughter and I have not been able to
connect yet, I think she filled out the registration but wasn't connected to the Internet, so she does not show
up yet. With NetMeeting you can do Video Conferencing, chat and use a shared White Board, like a caulk board. Pretty Cool Stuff.
- I'm on a Cable modem so I get really good frame rates and picture quality, my daughter is on a phone modem
and actually she looks just about as good, but you really can't send info as fast as with the Cable, that goes
for sound to.
Live Webcam Setup
Copyright © 2007, Mikescomputerinfo.com, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of information on this site, is prohibited without written permission.
Microsoft is in no way affiliated with, nor offers endorsement of this site.