This text is replaced by the Flash movie.
XP Computer Management Utility
There are many things you can do in this Utility. This will just be a brief overview of what is in it.
You can right click on any of these and get the Help file, which will give you detailed instructions
on how to use each item. Where is this, lol, go to:
Start-Programs-Administrative Tools-Computer Management.
The right screen is showing the Device Manager, that is what is clicked on when I took this screen shot. Also under System Tools is the Event Viewer, first in the list. You need to be logged in as the Administrator to use some of these items.
With Event Viewer you can see log files of Events that occur on your System, it also will show any Errors for:
The subfolders are about all the shared resources, sessions and open files on your computer,
I do not use for these, they are for Businesses with networks. Right click on a folder for more info.
- Open Files
Local Users and Groups:
If you open the Users folder and right click on a User and go to Properties:
- You can disable that user acct
- Set password permissions
- Add to a Members List
- Set the users Profile
Performance Logs and Alerts:
Supports detailed monitoring of the OS resources. I do not use this.
Right click on it for detailed info.
This is the same as Windows 9X :
- Determine whether the hardware on your computer is working properly.
- Change hardware configuration settings.
- Identify the device drivers that are loaded for each device, and obtain information about each device driver.
- Change advanced settings and properties for devices.
- Install updated device drivers.
- Disable, enable, and uninstall devices.
- Roll back to the previous version of a driver.
- Print a summary of the devices that are installed on your computer
Removable Storage makes it easy for you to track your removable storage media and to manage the libraries such as Changers and Jukeboxes, that contain them.
- Analyzing before Defraging
- Analyzing after large numbers of files are added or deleted.
- Defrag during low usage periods
- Defrag after installing software or Windows.
Services and Applications:
- Checkout the Services Link in the XP section on my site
Windows Management Instrumentation, hmm big name lol
- Configures and Controls the Windows Management service
Indexing Service is a service that extracts the information from a set of documents and organizes it in a way that makes it quick and easy to access that information through the Windows
XP Search function:
- Microsoft Office 95 and later
- Internet mail and news
- Any other document for which a document filter is availablele
Copyright © 2007, Mikescomputerinfo.com, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of information on this site, is prohibited without written permission.
Microsoft is in no way affiliated with, nor offers endorsement of this site.